[ATTW-L] Job: University of Pittsburgh / Assistant or Associate Teaching Prof Technical Writing or Digital Composition

Quigley, Stephen J sjquigley at pitt.edu
Fri Dec 15 19:17:02 UTC 2023

<https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=23008730&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York>
Technical Writing or Digital Composition and Narrative Teaching Assistant/Associate_English<https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=23008730&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York>
cfopitt.taleo.net<https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=23008730&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York>
[X]<https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=23008730&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York>

Technical Writing or Digital Composition and Narrative Teaching Assistant/Associate_English
English - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008730)

The Department of English at the University of Pittsburgh invites applications for a Teaching Assistant Professor or Teaching Associate Professor to join its active and innovative Composition program. The person who is hired will begin on a three-year renewable contract, starting in fall term 2024, pending budgetary approval. The teaching load is 3/3, plus expected service such as administrative or committee work and advising undergraduate research. This position is undergraduate-focused and outside the tenure track, and it has paths to promotion and leadership positions, as well as five-year renewable contracts after promotion.

The Composition program–one of four constituent programs in English (Literature, Creative Writing, and Film and Media Studies)–offers an array of first-year composition courses, general education Writing courses, and a Public and Professional Writing major and certificate. Our courses are also integral to the Digital Narrative and Interactive Design (DNID) joint major with the School of Computing and Information, the Public Communication of Science and Technology certificate, and an interdisciplinary Disability Studies Certificate. We value flexible teachers who can create engaging courses that respond to the needs of our programs and to school-wide general education requirements.

We are seeking to hire a Teaching Assistant Professor or Teaching Associate Professor to regularly teach courses such as: Introduction to Technical Writing, Digital Humanity, Writing with Data, Composing Digital Media, Digital Narrative and Interactive Design, or Usability Testing in Technical Writing, and to possibly develop other courses that will support students who are DNID majors or who want to become technical writers. Technical writing and Digital Composition and Narrative are two growing areas of interest among our students and we are looking for a colleague who can support at least one of these areas.

As a department that values inclusive and welcoming environments in which to work and learn, we are interested in hearing from candidates whose lived experiences would prove resourceful in mentoring students of diverse backgrounds, including students of color, LGBTQ+ students, first-generation college students, and students with disabilities. We also appreciate your interest and experience in writing program administration, which is closely tied to the work of these positions.

This line signals a commitment from the university, college, and department to support the Composition program's continued success in recruiting undergraduate majors, and certificate students, and serving the general education needs of our students. The colleague joining us through this line will join a department with strong mentorship programs in place.
All applicants must hold a terminal degree (Ph.D. or MFA in English) by the time of appointment (September 1, 2024) and demonstrate evidence of excellent teaching and a commitment to undergraduate courses pertinent to these positions; institutional and professional engagement; and commitment to diversity and inclusion in their teaching and service. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience and benefits are generous.
Applications must include the following, submitted through the University's Talent Center portal by February 2, 2024:

  *   Cover letter
  *   C.V.
  *   Teaching statement
  *   Statement on diversity (1-2 pp.) that demonstrates your track record and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion through teaching and service.
  *   A teaching portfolio that includes sample syllabi for two courses and at least two writing assignments or sequences (other teaching materials from these classes, such as in-class workshops, are welcome)
  *   Student surveys for three classes

As candidates progress through the search process, the committee may request three confidential letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the candidate’s teaching.
Please contact Lauren Morrison, Department of English, 526 Cathedral of Learning, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, with any questions: engchair at pitt.edu

• Cover letter • C.V. • Teaching statement • Statement on diversity (1-2 pp.) that demonstrates your track record and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion through teaching and service. • A teaching portfolio that includes sample syllabi for two courses and at least two writing assignments or sequences (other teaching materials from these classes, such as in-class workshops, are welcome) • Student surveys for three classes

The University of Pittsburgh is committed to championing all aspects of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility within our community. This commitment is a fundamental value of the University and is crucial in helping us advance our mission, which includes attracting and retaining diverse workforces. We will continue to create and maintain an environment that allows individuals to discover, belong, contribute, and grow, while honoring the experiences, perspectives, and unique identities of all.

The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity. EOE, including disability/vets.

The University of Pittsburgh requires all Pitt constituents (employees and students) on all campuses to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption. Visit hr.pitt.edu/contact-ohr to learn more.

Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Campus: Pittsburgh
Required Attachments: Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, Teaching Statement, Other (see posting for additional details)
Optional Attachments: Other (see posting for additional details)

Kind regards,

Stephen J. Quigley, Ph.D.
John C. Mascaro Faculty Lecturer in Sustainability
Teaching Professor
University of Pittsburgh
English Department
Cathedral of Learning 628K