[ATTW-L] #EVENT: GSOLE Webinar on Using Slack to Extend Class Interactions

Grover, Stephen david.grover at park.edu
Wed Feb 22 02:54:30 UTC 2023

Friends,

The CCCC Convention last week left me feeling energized about my teaching and research, and I hope you feel the same. I especially enjoyed meeting members of the online writing instruction community and hearing so many great ideas that will inform my practice.

In that vein, I wanted to remind you all that I will be presenting a webinar this Friday entitled “Blurring the Edges: Using Slack to Enable and Extend Class Interactions”<https://gsole.org/event-5115787>. The event is part of GSOLE’s ongoing webinar series and will be held on February 24 from 3:00–4:30pm ET/12:00–1:30pm PT.

I’ve also set up a shared Slack workspace that we will use during the event, and I invite you to join it now<http://groversenglish.com/articles/getonslack.php> to share your questions and (for those of you who already use Slack or similar software) insights, which I plan to use as I make my final preparations for the presentation. The workspace is available now and will remain active for two weeks following the webinar. I’ve also posted many resources to my website<http://groversenglish.com/articles/gsole2023.php>, including sample assignments that use Slack and detailed instructions for setting up your own Slack workspace.

Here’s the full blurb:

"Blurring the Edges: Using Slack to Enable and Extend Class Interactions"

This webinar will focus on how Slack, and other messaging platforms, can provide ways to promote more—and more organic—interactions between students, instructors, and course material and to extend those interactions between class meetings or outside the LMS. In this webinar, Grover will outline the benefits, pitfalls, and principles of use that he's discovered over 7+ years of using Slack in teaching of writing. Additionally, Grover will demonstrate how instructors can use it in practice, including what settings to consider, what channels to create, and how to get students set up on the software. Participants will learn how messaging platforms can:

·         allow students greater control over how they present themselves to classmates,
·         increase modes of access, enabling more student participation,
·         allow a greater degree of underlife in and out of class, and
·         promote community building among students separated in time and space.

Please note that this webinar is free for all GSOLE members and nonmembers can register for $15. If you have any questions about the registration process, please contact the Webinar Co-Chairs at webinars at gsole.org<mailto:webinars at gsole.org>. Please also note that registration will close on Thursday, February 23rd at 12pm ET. The webinar co-chairs will send you an access link the day before the webinar.

Thanks!
David

Stephen David Grover, PhD
Assistant Professor of English
Program Coordinator: First-Year Writing
Course Coordinator: EN204, EN207, EN306A/B/C
Park University<https://www.park.edu> | Parkville Campus | Copley 306
Department of English and Modern Languages
8700 NW River Park Drive
Parkville, MO 64152
816-584-6347<tel:816-584-6347>
david.grover at park.edu<mailto:david.grover at park.edu>
he/his/him

Park University Legal Disclaimer

This e-mail message and any attached files are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering this confidential communication to the intended recipient, you have received this communication in error, and any review, use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying, or other distribution of this e-mail message and any attached files is strictly prohibited. If you have received this confidential communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail message and permanently delete the original message. Any price and other contract terms contained in this email are not intended to constitute an offer or acceptance and so cannot be binding. Park University’s President, CFO, or their designee(s), must approve, in writing, all price and contract terms.