[ATTW-L] new issue of Communication Design Quarterly!

Jordan Frith frithjh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:57:08 UTC 2023

Hi all,
I'm happy to announce that the newest issue of *Communication Design
Quarterly *was just published (volume 11, issue 1). The issue features four
full-length articles and two book reviews, and it's a strong and varied
collection of work covering everything from neoliberal wellness campaigns
to content management systems. You can access the full issue here,
<https://cdq.sigdoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/CDQ_11.1_FullIssue.pdf>
and I'm including the article titles and abstracts below. Thank you to all
the authors and reviewers who put so much work into making this issue so
strong. I hope you all enjoy!

Constructing structured content on WordPress: Emerging paradigms in web
content management

by Daniel Carter

Web content management systems (WCMSs) are widely used technologies that,
like previous writing tools, shape how people think about and create
documents. Despite their influence and ubiquity, however, WCMSs have
received exceedingly little attention from scholars interested in social
aspects of technology. I begin to address this gap by analyzing the
development of WordPress’s content creation experience through the lens of
structured content. Based on this analysis, I contribute to ongoing
discussions of content management by first suggesting that concepts such as
structured content need to be understood as the contingent products of
technical lineages and technical and social relationships and by second
drawing attention to emerging paradigms of content creation, such as the
merging of content creation and arrangement and the conflation of visual
and abstract representations of content objects.
Questioning neoliberal rhetorics of wellness: Designing programmatic
interventions to better support graduate instructor wellbeing

by Samantha Clem and Beth Buysiere

Abstract: Previous research has recognized the neoliberal trends that
permeate the rhetorics of academic wellness, placing the responsibility for
wellbeing on individuals rather than institutions and systems. In this
study, the authors implemented a participatory action research (PAR)
project to collaborate with different stakeholders in one university
writing program and develop programmatic approaches to support the
wellbeing of one subset of academic faculty: graduate student instructors.
Along with an account of how we adapted our PAR methodology to align with
the wellness needs of our participants, we also provide a description and
analysis of the intervention developed collaboratively in the PAR group. We
end with five takeaways that researchers and stakeholders in graduate
student education can apply to developing programmatic interventions that
better support graduate instructor wellbeing: 1) research methodologies
should adapt to foreground wellbeing; 2) productive conversations about
wellbeing should start by acknowledging and validating the lived experience
of graduate instructors; 3) students want to be involved in programmatic
processes and procedures that support their wellbeing; 4) facilitating (but
not requiring) non-productive social interaction among grad students can
support GI wellbeing; 5) the work of supporting wellbeing is never fully
done—we call on administrators, faculty members, and students to continue
this work.
Exploring healthcare communication gaps between US universities and their
international students: A technical communication approach

by Akshata Balghare

Abstract: US healthcare is a complicated system not just for US-born
citizens but also international students in the US. While universities
inform international students about how US healthcare functions, these
students still struggle with navigating healthcare owing to the cultural
and technical challenges they face with the system. This paper investigates
how US healthcare information can be conveyed effectively by universities
so that international students navigate healthcare with fewer challenges.
This research was conducted using qualitative methods with 12 international
student participants at a US university. Using the collected data, the
study provides recommendations to improve healthcare communication on
campuses and insights to increase the scope of this study to further
investigate international students’ healthcare access challenges.
The coping with COVID project: Participatory public health communication

by Kathryn Yankura Swacha

Abstract: This paper reports on The Coping with COVID Project, a
qualitative study and public-facing platform that invited participants to
share their experiences, via stories and images, with navigating
COVID-related public health guidelines. The study revealed daily activities
during the pandemic summarized in three themes: lived ‘compliance;’
emplaced, storied negotiations; and affective, embodied efforts. In light
of such findings, this article outlines recommendations for a
participatory, actionable story and visual-driven approach to public health
communication that recognizes the various contexts—e.g., physical,
material, affective, structural—which impact how such communication is
interpreted and acted upon by people in their daily lives. A heuristic is
included for communicators, researchers, and community members to use in
enacting this approach.

Download issue 11 (1) here.
<https://cdq.sigdoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/CDQ_11.1_FullIssue.pdf>

--

Jordan Frith, Ph.D.

Pearce Professor of Professional Communication

Clemson University

Pronouns: He/Him

Editor-in-Chief, *Communication Design Quarterly*

Editor, *The X-Series <https://parlorpress.com/pages/x-series>*, Parlor
Press

My Google Scholar Profile
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=OtvmSE0AAAAJ&hl=en>