[ATTW-L] [EXT] technical editing class -- hard-copy markup?

Matt Baker mattbaker at byu.edu
Fri Jan 6 19:29:15 UTC 2023

This is a great question, Jonathan. For context, I have a technical editing course that focuses on substantive editing, so I don't cover hard-copy markup in that class. However, in my copyediting course—a required course that students typically take before they take technical editing—I spend two days on editing marks.

On the first day of class, I teach them common copyediting marks. One reason I like to teach the marks early in the semester is that I believe they provide a nice preview and typology of common copyedits. But other than using marks on the few homework assignments related to that lecture, students submit all other homework using tracked changes.

Later on in the semester, I spend one other day on proofreading marks and teach the differences between copyediting and proofreading marks and processes. I suspect that proofreading is one editorial activity that is still done somewhat often on hardcopy, especially for documents that will be printed.

In sum, I think it's still worth spending a little time on the skill. I hope this helps!

Matt
—
Matthew J. Baker, PhD, MBA
Assistant Professor of Editing and Publishing
Brigham Young University
Department of Linguistics