[ATTW-L] [EXT] technical editing class -- hard-copy markup?

Lemanski, Steven slemanski at UCSD.EDU
Mon Jan 9 16:25:21 UTC 2023

Jonathan (and all),

I also think you are wise to keep incorporating at least one unit in your course on hard-copy editing. You know, I believe this (perhaps minor) controversy about the right mode of editing is not unlike the debate about the pros and cons of a paperless society -- or the relative value for readers of eBooks versus traditional books. I think there is an inherent value, at least for some purposes and some genres (or subject matter), in print-based communications that will never erased by electronic media. I may have to eat my words before my time on this planet is done, but I do think this is true. That being said, I obviously see great value -- again, in certain work contexts -- for print-based or hard-copy editing.

Another analogy that I think supports my viewpoint is the tried-and-true principle that all writers -- despite the fact that we all believe we see can see perfectly well what's on the printed page or the screen -- should read out loud what we've written, at some point in our revising and editing process.

Furthermore, from my own workplace experience as a technical writer and editor, I firmly believe that printing out a document and working with the hard-copy while revising, at least initially, is almost indispensable to the work of heavy or substantive editing (when whole paragraphs or sections need to be moved around or rearranged, among other things). I know your question was about editing practices, but I bring up this point because there is sometimes a fine line between revising and editing, as we all know.

All the best,
Steve

Steven W. Lemanski, MTC-English

Adjunct Writing & Communication Instructor