[ATTW-L] technical editing class -- hard-copy markup?

Grover, Stephen david.grover at park.edu
Tue Jan 10 17:01:17 UTC 2023

Friends,

I also teach a professional and technical editing class, and I also use The Copyeditor’s Handbook along with The Copyeditor’s Workbook as key texts in the class. I echo others that the discussion of on-page and on-screen editing in those books is useful, and will add that the Workbook has a good exercise for handwritten editing with an excellent answer key that students can check their work against (I have scans of this if anyone would like to see it).

Because my class is listed at the 200-level, is so condensed (8 weeks, fully asynchronous), and is meant to serve students from lots of majors, The Copyeditor’s Handbook/Workbook is the only instruction and practice students get with handwritten editing in my class. The rest of the class focuses on on-screen editing and collaboration, mostly over Google Docs.

One other thing that might be of use to you, Jonathan, as you redevelop your course, and to others who teach this. In developing my own course for asynchronous delivery, I ended up writing several short articles on editing-related topics that I couldn’t find good readings for, and I published them on my open-educational resource site, Grover’s English, in the “Technical Communication”<http://groversenglish.com/technicalcommunication.php> section:

  *   “Types of Editing” lays out for students the different major branches of the editing profession and discusses what employment looks like in each.
  *   “Levels of Edit” is a brief and accessible introduction to the concept of editing levels and how I, as a working editor, use them.
  *   “The Editorial Mindset” attempts to describe the cognitive space editors inhabit when working and gives several tips students can use to develop their own mindsets.
  *   “How I Accidentally Became an Editor” describes my own path to the profession (with a funny story about how I learned the proofreaders’ marks to fake my way into a job!) as an example of the often sideways nature of finding a career.
  *   “Transmittal Letter Tips” presents two real-life transmittal letters I sent to clients and discusses how and why they work.
  *   “Editing with an In-House Style” explains what an in-house style is and how it is usually built from a broad foundation (like Chicago) with ever more specific layers to serve house needs.

These are completely free to use and are at stable URLs that won’t change, so please feel free to incorporate them into your classes or use them as supplements if you find them useful. If you have suggestions for their improvement, I’d love to hear them, and if you have suggestions for additional articles or would like to write one yourself, I’d love to hear that too.

Best,
David

Stephen David Grover, PhD
Assistant Professor of English
Program Coordinator: First-Year Writing
Course Coordinator: EN204, EN207, EN306A/B/C
Park University<https://www.park.edu> | Parkville Campus | Copley 306
Department of English and Modern Languages
8700 NW River Park Drive
Parkville, MO 64152
816-584-6347<tel:816-584-6347>
david.grover at park.edu<mailto:david.grover at park.edu>