[ATTW-L] UW-Milwaukee Rhetoric, Professional Writing, & Community Engagement Program Accepting MA and PhD Applications

Maria T Novotny novotnmt at uwm.edu
Sun Nov 19 15:28:27 UTC 2023

Friends –

We are sharing information about UW-Milwaukee’s MA and PhD graduate program, which is currently accepting applications through December 15th.

We offer an MA in Rhetoric and Professional Writing<https://uwm.edu/english/graduate/graduate-plans/rhetoric-writing-community-engagement/ma-requirements/> which prepares students for nonprofit careers, industry, and PhD programs. Recent graduate students have gone on to work at Rockwell Automation, Madison College’s Writing Center, and several PhD programs. Prospective students may apply for graduate teaching assistantship and frequently receive funding. We also have several students who enter our program working full-time. We welcome both!

The PhD program is in Rhetoric, Professional Writing, & Community Engagement<https://uwm.edu/english/graduate/graduate-plans/rhetoric-writing-community-engagement/phd-requirements/>. We provide students with a broad background in rhetoric and writing studies while offering students opportunities that apply knowledge in pedagogical, professional, and/or community spaces. Our faculty specialize in community-engaged work with roots in public memory, rhetoric of place,  archival methods, qualitative research, cultural rhetorics, and reproductive health and justice rhetoric. We also encourage coursework that centers experiential learning and community collaborations. Students interested in community-engaged rhetoric and writing work are strongly encouraged to apply. Graduate teaching assistantships are available for prospective students who apply. UW-Milwaukee’s Graduate School also supports under-represented applicants and encourages them to apply for the Advanced Opportunity (AOP) Fellowship<https://uwm.edu/english/graduate/prospective-students/fellowships-and-awards/> (due December 15th).

Over the last five years, we have welcomed new faculty who have contributed as public scholars to the greater Milwaukee area. Examples include: Mapping Racism and Resistance in Milwaukee County<https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2022/12/07/restrictive-covenants-aimed-to-segregate-milwaukee-stifle-black-homeownership/69687730007/>, Nourishing Trust with food stories<https://uwm.edu/news/storytelling-as-a-research-method-offers-insights-into-societys-needs/>, a health promoters community writing project titled Cuentos de Confianza<https://www.cuentosdeconfianza.com/>, and art exhibitions on reproductive loss and infertility<https://www.wuwm.com/2023-11-03/a-new-book-explores-the-many-paths-of-infertility>. In short, we find it to be an exciting time to welcome new MA and PhD students who seek to create similar public facing scholarship and be mentored through community projects led by English faculty.

Prospective students with questions are encouraged to contact Assistant Professor Maria Novotny (novotnmt at uwm.edu<mailto:novotnmt at uwm.edu>) who currently serves as the graduate coordinator for these MA and PhD degrees.

_____________________________
Maria Novotny, Ph.D.
(she/her/hers)
Assistant Professor
Rhetoric, Professional Writing, and Community Engagement
Department of English
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Curtin Hall 488
Milwaukee, WI 53211
novotnmt at uwm.edu<mailto:novotnmt at uwm.edu>
www.marianovotny.com<http://www.marianovotny.com>

Latest publication here —> https://cfshrc.org/article/coalitional-accountability-for-feminist-rhetoricians-in-a-post-roe-world/ <https://cfshrc.org/article/coalitional-accountability-for-feminist-rhetoricians-in-a-post-roe-world/>

Get Infertilities, A Curation here! —> Infertilities, A Curation<https://www.wsupress.wayne.edu/books/detail/infertilities-curation>

[image001.jpg]

UWM resides on traditional Potawatomi, Ho-Chunk and Menominee homelands along the southwest shores of Michigami, North America’s largest system of freshwater lakes, where the Milwaukee, Menominee and Kinnickinnic rivers meet and the people of Wisconsin’s sovereign Anishinaabe, Ho-Chunk, Menominee, Oneida and Mohican nations remain present.