[ATTW-L] Job: Assistant Prof, Tenure Track, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

Atherton, Rachel atherton at rose-hulman.edu
Thu Feb 1 16:23:04 UTC 2024

Hi all,

I’m writing to share a job ad at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (below, full link at https://rosehulman.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/9/home/requisition/546?c=rosehulman). Note that the title reads Open Rank — that’s HR boilerplate. We are hiring for an Assistant Prof. I’m not on the search committee, but I’m happy to answer any questions about the school or the area.

The Department of Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts (HSSA) <https://www.rose-hulman.edu/academics/academic-departments/humanities-social-sciences-and-the-arts/index.html> at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology seeks candidates for a tenure-track assistant professor to begin August 2024.
Qualified candidates must hold a Ph.D. or other terminal degree in English, Rhetoric & Composition, Technical Communication, or a related field by your start date, and must demonstrate potential for excellence in undergraduate teaching.  The department and the institute place a high value on engaging students from traditionally underrepresented groups, and candidates from these groups are especially encouraged to apply. Individuals who interact well with both students and faculty within our science, engineering and computer science programs are also encouraged to apply.
Essential job functions include classroom teaching, curriculum development and continuous improvement, research and other professional development activities, student advising and service to the department and institute. A successful candidate will teach both in HSSA and in Rose-Hulman’s Engineering Design program <https://www.rose-hulman.edu/academics/degrees-and-programs/engineering-design/index.html> where writing courses and humanities content are integrated with design and technical courses in a team-taught studio format. The person we hire will normally teach a variety of design studios, writing courses, and electives in their areas of expertise and interest.
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is one of the nation’s top undergraduate engineering, science, and mathematics colleges. Our campus in west-central Indiana is home to 2,200 students with a passion for learning. Our mission is to offer these students “the world’s best undergraduate science, engineering and mathematics education in an environment of individual attention and support.” Our new assistant professor will join a diverse, multidisciplinary liberal arts department that teaches all Rose-Hulman students, offering many popular minors and a second major in International Studies <https://www.rose-hulman.edu/academics/course-catalog/current/programs/Humanities,%20Social%20Sciences,%20and%20the%20Arts/course-descriptions.html#intl-studies#intl-studies>.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, and a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement to https://jobs.rose-hulman.edu <https://rosehulman.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/9/home?c=rosehulman>. Applications must be made online. After a preliminary review, the following materials may be requested: a statement of teaching philosophy, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and three letters of reference. Review of applications will begin in late-February and continue until the position is filled. For questions about the application system, please contact Human Resources via email, HRApply at rose-hulman.edu. For questions about the position itself, please contact the Head of the Department of Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts (HSSA), Dr. Corey Taylor, at taylor13 at rose-hulman.edu <>.

Thanks,

Rachel Atherton
Assistant Professor | English
Director | CommLab
Humanities, Social Sciences, & Arts
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

atherton at rose-hulman.edu <mailto:atherton at rose-hulman.edu>

812-877-8389 <tel:8128778389>

Moench B201

rhetorachel.com <http://rhetorachel.com/>

 <http://rhetorachel.com/>
The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.

Schedule a meeting <https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/2b3f0d79ae774ec685fd8429bda0259c@rose-hulman.edu?anonymous&ep=plink>