[ATTW-L] the Evers letter

Dragga, Sam Sam.Dragga at ttu.edu
Sun Aug 30 23:54:59 UTC 2020

Today’s letter from Governor Evers of Wisconsin to President Trump offers the opportunity for important class discussion. The letter is available at https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/7048475/Evers-Trump-Kenosha-Visit-8-30-20.pdf.

In addition to the ethical issues it raises about the responsibilities of public officials, the letter reinforces key principles of rhetoric. For example, you might note the brief, two-sentence opening paragraph with its clear statement of purpose (reiterated in the closing paragraph). You might also note the poignant use of repetition (“I am concerned that . . . I am concerned that” or “Now is not the time for . . . Now is not the time for”) or the unwieldy phrasing of a key point in a 56-word one-sentence paragraph (the last paragraph of page 1).

The letter is also a reminder that conscientious communication is altogether critical during perilous times.

Sam

Sam Dragga
Professor Emeritus, Texas Tech University
Editor, Technical Communication
sam.dragga at ttu.edu
1-806-543-6099