[ATTW-L] Position in Cultural Rhetorics at Michigan State University

Lauren, Benjamin blauren at msu.edu
Mon Oct 8 20:53:14 UTC 2018

Hello—

On behalf of the hiring committee, I am sending on a description of a position in Cultural Rhetorics at MSU at the associate or full professor rank (link to job ad: http://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/job/499875/asc-proffull-professortenure-system). Please share widely and consider joining us at MSU! For any questions, you can contact our search chair Malea Powell at powell37 at msu.edu<mailto:powell37 at msu.edu>.

Job no: 528621
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Arts And Letters
Department: Writing Rhetoric And American Culture 10004054
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Tenure System Faculty, Education/Training, Non-Union

Working/Functional Title

Asc Prof/Full Professor

Position Summary

The Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures at Michigan State University seeks a colleague in cultural rhetorics at the rank of Associate or Full Professor to join our department--an innovative, inclusive community that encourages intellectual and cultural diversity and is dedicated to preparing excellent communicators in the culturally, technologically, and economically dynamic environments of the 21st century. This is an academic-year, tenure system faculty appointment to begin August 16, 2019. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of scholarly achievement in Rhetoric and Writing Studies, be engaged in culturally-relevant teaching practices, and show evidence of substantial service in both local and national arenas.

We are especially interested in scholars doing innovative work as researchers and teachers in interdisciplinary areas like African-American rhetorics, Native American and indigenous rhetorics, Asian and Pacific American rhetorics, Chican@/Latin@ rhetorics, decolonial rhetorics, comparative rhetorics, queer rhetorics, or feminist/womanist rhetorics, and whose work actively contributes to conversations in the field of cultural rhetorics.

Required Degree

Doctorate -Rhetoric & Writing, field related to Cultural Rhetoric

Minimum Requirements

Applicants are expected to hold a Ph.D. or other terminal degree in Rhetoric and Writing Studies or in an interdisciplinary field related to cultural rhetorics. We are especially interested in scholars able to teach across our undergraduate and graduate programs in writing (BA in Professional Writing; BA in Experience Architecture; MA and PhD in Rhetoric and Writing).

Required Application Materials

Qualified applicants should submit a) a cover letter b) current curriculum vitae c) a statement of teaching / research philosophy that highlights your alignment with some of our desired qualifications d) a summary of your experience with diversity in the classroom and/or in your past or planned research endeavors, any experience mentoring diverse students or faculty, any experience mentoring diverse students or community outreach initiatives, and an explanation of how you will advance our goals of inclusive excellence and the names and e) email addresses of 4 potential referees.

Special Instructions

Review of applications will begin October 10, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled.  Applications must be submitted electronically to the Michigan State University Human Resources website http://careers.msu.edu/.

Review of Applications Begins On

10/10/2018

Website

wrac.msu.edu<http://wrac.msu.edu>

Department Statement

The Department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures has a strong institutional commitment to diversity in all areas and encourages candidates from underrepresented groups. The College of Arts & Letters promotes an academic and organizational culture which actively seeks out and strengthens diverse voices and perspectives among its members in order to achieve true excellence. The College of Arts & Letters is interested in candidates of all backgrounds who are committed to the principle that intellectual leadership is achieved through open access and pro-active inclusion.

Michigan State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity.  The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.  Job applicants are considered for employment opportunities and employees are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodation.

MSU Statement

Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.

Advertised: Aug 31, 2018 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close:

Thank you,

Ben

---
Benjamin Lauren, PhD
Assistant Professor of Experience Architecture
Assistant Director of MA in Digital Rhetoric and Professional Writing
Fellow, MSU Hub for Innovation in Learning and Technology

Michigan State University
Department of Writing, Rhetoric, & American Cultures
434 Farm Lane, Office 242
East Lansing, MI, 48824
(517) 355-2400 | benlauren.com<http://benlauren.com> | @benlauren

Author of Communicating Project Management<https://www.amazon.com/Communicating-Project-Management-Participatory-Communication/dp/1138046426/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529026255&sr=8-1&keywords=communicating+project+management>