[ATTW-L] Call for Proposals--Corridors: The Great Lakes Writing and Rhetoric Conference 2019

megan schoen mschoen2342 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 01:35:22 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues:

Apologies for cross-posting. Attached and pasted below please find the CFP
for Corridors: The Great Lakes Writing and Rhetoric Conference 2019, which
will be held at Oakland University on September 28, 2019. This is a small
regional conference for writing teachers/scholars in the state of Michigan
and surrounding Great Lakes states. If you teach in or near Michigan in the
Great Lakes region, please consider submitting a proposal and/or planning
to attend.

Sincerely,

Megan Schoen

Assistant Professor of Writing and Rhetoric

Director of First-Year Writing

Oakland University

*Call for Proposals*

*Corridors 2019*:* The Great Lakes Writing and Rhetoric Conference @
Oakland University*

*Proposal deadline: Friday, August 16*

The Department of Writing and Rhetoric at Oakland University invites you to
propose ideas for the third annual *Corridors: The Great Lakes Writing and
Rhetoric Conference* on *September 28, 2019* in Rochester, Michigan. The
Corridors Conference emerged from and reimagines the WIDE-EMU
(un)conference co-sponsored by the Eastern Michigan University Written
Communication program and the Michigan State University Center for Research
on Writing, Information, and Digital Experience from 2012-2016. An
(un)conference is like most other conferences, only this one is FREE (!) to
attend.

While we welcome all proposals, we encourage proposals that respond to this
year's conference theme:

*How Does Writing “Engage”?*

This year’s conference theme emphasizes engagement, broadly conceived. Some
possible questions your presentation might address include:

   - How does our own writing help to engage the world and our surrounding
   communities (through research, scholarship, or creative work)?
   - How do we engage students in and out of the writing classroom?
   - How can we use technology to engage students in F2F, online, and
   hybrid class formats?
   - How do we engage with the many challenges to the teaching and learning
   of writing?
   - How do we engage with colleagues to collaborate on innovative writing
   curricula?
   - How do we engage with publics to connect our academic work with the
   wider world?
   - How can we incorporate civic and community engagement into writing
   classes we teach?
   - How do we engage in writing with our students?
   - How can we engage with primary school and secondary school writing
   teachers to promote student success?
   - How do we engage with the inequities of contingent labor to enact
   advocacy?
   - How can writing program administrators support civic engagement for
   instructors and students?

*Session Formats*

We invite proposals configured to fit the following session formats.

   - *Talk*—Talk sessions feature up to four 12-minute segments for
   speakers giving traditional conference presentations.
   - *Make/Do*—Make/Do sessions feature demonstrations or guided acts of
   creation as the outcomes, like a workshop. Propose a session in which
   participants will "make" something such as a web site, a lesson plan, a
   manifesto, syllabus, etc. Or propose a session focused on the "how to"
   related to a software application or pedagogical approach. One speaker or
   group leads the full session.
   - *Collaborate*—Collaborate sessions feature roundtable discussions
   focused on the conference theme of “engagement,” broadly conceived.
   Discussion will spark from five-minute, evocative conversation starters
   presented by up to 8-10 speakers per session.

Each session runs 75 minutes. Space will also be available for *ad hoc*,
on-the-fly, spontaneous discussion, action, and collaboration.

Click on the link below to view the conference website and submit your
proposal:

https://sites.google.com/oakland.edu/corridors-greatlakes-2019