[ATTW-L] Fwd: Rubric for reflective memo

Brian Larson brian at tendallarson.com
Thu Sep 19 15:06:56 UTC 2019

Thanks to the folks who responded to my request (below). I found comments
from Teresa McKinney Davis, Hilary Sarat-St. Peter, Wayne Butler, and
Jessica Campbell very useful. As promised, I'm sharing the approach I've
chosen.

This reflective memo comes after a simulation exercise, "Memo 1," submitted
for a fictitious supervising attorney, Mr. Bob Swagger. Students submitted
Memo 1 on September 15, each gave and received at least two peer reviews on
Eli Review this week, and they are required to submit a revision and the
reflective memo on September 22. This is meant to be a low-stakes
assignment from a grading perspective. (I looked over the September 15
submissions, though, and they were generally quite good.) Students will
receive markup but no grade on Memo 1. The entire grade is based on the
reflective memo. They will then incorporate Memo 1 into a graded and
significantly more complex assignment (not surprisingly, called "Memo 2").
Here are the instructions and rubric I gave them for the reflection:

Reflective Memo Rubric

September 18, 2019

Your reflective memo for Memo 1 is intended to capture some of your
thinking about the revision process between the September 15 and September
22 version. If you respond to the prompts below, you should be able to get
full points for this assignment.

Write an essay that responds to the following questions. The form and
format (other than the MS Word requirement below) is up to you, but please
write complete sentences organized into paragraphs.

1.     20 pts. Characterize your understanding of Mr. Swagger’s situation
when he requested your action and his likely situation when he will read
your email.

a.     What do you think he already knew? (1 or 2 sentences)

b.     What did he need to know? (1 or 2 sentences)

c.     How did he want to receive that? (1 or 2 sentences)

2.     20 pts. Describe how your September 15 response likely met his needs
and where it may have fallen short. In doing so, refer to the rubric you
have been developing for legal writing (emails, rule statements, rule
explanations, etc.) (1 paragraph)

3.     20 pts. Peer-review process

a.     Copy and paste the Eli Reviews you received on Memo 1.

b.     Copy and paste the Eli Reviews you gave on Memo 1.

c.     Identify and describe at least one useful comment you received from
a peer (whether you adopted the advice or no) OR one thing you observed in
a peer’s paper that influenced your revision (1 or 2 sentences).

d.     Identify one way your peers could have provided better feedback (1
or 2 sentences)

e.     Identify one way that you could have provided better feedback (1 or
2 sentences)

4.     40 pts. Describe any significant revisions you made to Memo 1
between September 15 and 22 and your motivations for them. (1 paragraph)

You should submit your essay in a Microsoft Word file uploaded at the
appropriate link on TWEN. Post any questions to Prof. Larson by your
bedtime on Friday.

I'm looking forward to hearing how they respond to the assignment and what
they say about it during a debrief next Tuesday.

Thanks again for your help!
-Brian
*Brian N. Larson, J.D., Ph.D.* ("he" "him" etc.) | Associate Professor

*Texas A&M University School of Law*
Scholarship (Bepress) <https://works.bepress.com/brian-larson/> (SSRN)
<https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=2017167> |
Blogging @ www.Rhetoricked.com