[ATTW-L] Grad teaching assistants and tech comm service courses

Maylath, Bruce bruce.maylath at ndsu.edu
Thu Apr 9 14:48:43 UTC 2020

Hi, Abi,

The requirements at North Dakota State have changed a bit since you were a MA student here a decade ago, shortly after the vertical writing programs for undergrad general education were rolled out. The teaching of Upper-Division Writing courses<https://www.ndsu.edu/english/writing_programs/upper_division_writing_courses/>, such as Writing in the Technical Professions and Business & Professional Writing, is limited to PhD students (as well as faculty and lecturers, of course).

Even then, PhD students must first have accumulated at least two years’ experience teaching first-year writing. They also must have taken this course:

ENGL 765. Upper Division Writing: Pedagogy, Practice, and Technology. 3 Credits.
Theory, practice, and pedagogy for teaching upper-division writing classes. Discussion will include a number of writing studies topics, including Writing across Curriculum (WAC), Writing in the Disciplines (WID), and writing program administration.

Created and taught in its early years by Andy Mara, it’s now taught by Mary McCall and Dan Kenzie. While taking the course, which is open to MA students as well, each grad student picks one of the nine UDW courses in English (there are a few others offered by other departments and specific to their disciplines, such as the foreign languages, history, microbiology, and pharmacy ) to focus on and explore, with a view to teaching that undergraduate course when they’re fully qualified.

There are no requirements for to teach online; however, grad students are encouraged to sign up for a several-day remunerated summer workshop focused on methods of online teaching and led by one of the English department’s former grad students. Naturally, all current UDW instructors are now gaining sink-or-swim online teaching experience, as all of NDSU’s course migrated to fully online delivery following spring break and through the end of the semester.

Good luck!—and do keep your questions coming.

Bruce
--
Bruce Maylath, Ph.D.
Professor of English