[ATTW-L] Recent problems

Mary Schuster mmlay at umn.edu
Wed Jul 15 16:13:53 UTC 2020

I was ATTW president from 1988 to 1990 and became a Fellow in 1994. I am so
dismayed that anyone would feel unwelcome in the organization and that
those from different cultures and ethnicities would not feel welcome.
Discrimination certainly did not characterize ATTW in the 1980s when I
joined, and I know that it does not now! A colleague passed on to me
Elizabeth Tebeaux's remarks from *Inside Higher Education*, and I was
shocked. I haven't been active on the listserv in quite a while, but I do
know that ATTW and other scholars are addressing social conflict and social
justice in their work, as I have done for over a decade. So my "voice from
the past" reaches out to all in the organization with praise and pride for
the work you are doing!

Mary (Lay) Schuster
Professor Emerita (as of June 2020!)
Writing Studies