[ATTW-L] Update: ATTW 2020 Refunds/donations of registration, ads, sponsorships, workshops, and lunch

ATTW Communications communications at attw.org
Tue Mar 17 10:00:00 UTC 2020

Dear ATTW members, 2020 conference participants, colleagues, and friends,

As you may know, the ATTW Executive Committee and the Program Chairs have
cancelled the 2020 Association of Teachers of Technical Writing (ATTW)
conference in Milwaukee, WI due to the potential public health risks
associated with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). The committee and
chairs' assessment of the possible risks surrounding COVID-19 to our ATTW
community, the staff at the Hilton, the broader Milwaukee community, the
communities we connect with on our travels, and our home communities led us
to decide that cancelling would best mitigate these risks. If you have not
seen the full announcement sent out on 3/10/2020, you can read the full
version on the ATTW homepage <https://attw.org/>.

Since the cancellation, we have been working on gathering your questions
and developing a refund process. Here is updated information on those
issues.

*Submitting your Refund Preferences*
We appreciate your patience as we came up with a request process for
refunds/donations/payment transfers. We have an evolving FAQ
<https://attw.org/faq/> where we are answering questions as they arise. We
ask that anyone who registered for the conference, purchased an
advertisement, provided a sponsorship, or signed up for the research
workshop or Women in TC luncheon fill out the ATTW 2020 Refund Preferences
<https://www.xcdsystem.com/attw/forms/index.cfm?ID=aR16mqH> form. Make your
refund requests through that form by logging in as a returning user with
the email address and password you used for registration and
membership. *Please
submit your refund preferences by midnight (Eastern) on 3/31/2020.*

*What preferences can you select?*
If you have already made a payment for ATTW 2020, you may do the following
with the components of your registration, sponsorship, or advertisement:

   - Donate your payment to ATTW to help offset the financial impacts
   related to cancelling. Any surplus will be used toward building more
   accessible and equitable options for remote participation in future ATTW
   conferences.
   - Receive a refund for your registration.
   - Transfer your registration to next year’s conference. If you choose to
   transfer your registration to next year’s conference, you will not be
   impacted by any potential increases to the registration fee or potential
   fee increases due to a change in your registration status (e.g., moving
   from grad student to faculty rate).

We are still working with our payment provider to establish the timeline
for the refunds. Our provider's major expert is away until 4/1/2020, but we
hope to update the FAQ <https://attw.org/faq/> with a timeline for refund
processing as soon as possible.

Further information is available in our FAQ <https://attw.org/faq/>. For
example, we updated it yesterday to answer questions about allowing refunds
if you choose to move your registration to next year but are unable to
attend and to provide the link and process described above. If you have any
other questions or difficulty with the preferences form, contact
communications at attw.org. I will be happy to help you.

Best regards,

Lisa Dusenberry
ATTW Communications Team