[ATTW-L] Testing a Reflection Space for Course Design: Dissertation Research Focus Groups

Julie Christen juliechristen at email.arizona.edu
Fri Dec 10 16:00:00 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues in Technical and Professional Communication,

My name is Julie Christen and I am a doctoral candidate at University of
Arizona. I am conducting dissertation research on course design and
revision practices of TPC instructors who are committed to social justice
in their courses. My project, "Teaching Social Justice in Technical and
Professional Communication: Instructor Experience with Course Design and
Delivery" looks at how instructors design or revise their courses to
incorporate social justice aims, and this second stage will focus on
testing and revising a reflection space for instructors to document and
reflect on their course design and revision practices.

This research builds on a preliminary survey that went out to ATTW in
August 2021 on language-setting for social justice work in teaching TPC.
Based on those responses, I offer the following working definition of
social justice. Social justice efforts are interested in equity, inclusion,
and accessibility and are especially defined by taking action against
injustices. Injustices can include (but are not limited to) racism, sexism,
environmental exploitation of land and people, white language supremacy,
economic exploitation, and discrimination based on ability. Thank you to
all who completed that survey.

*Participation in this project is voluntary and consists of four (4)
monthly one-hour focus groups with up to 10 participants in late January,
February, March, and April 2022.* *Participants will be compensated $25 per
focus group (or $100 for the full set)*. Spring focus groups will include
walkthroughs and usability testing of a drafted reflection space for course
design or revision practices. The reflection space will be in Notion
<https://www.notion.so/product>, a project-management tool that is free for
personal use. Participants will have access to all developed materials and
templates at the end of the study.

If you are either 1) teaching a TPC course with a social justice focus in
the spring or 2) working on designing or revising one for a future term,
you are eligible to participate. *I am especially prioritizing instructors
who identify as multiply marginalized and/or underrepresented in TPC, as
well as contingent instructors.* Please feel free to share with your
networks.

If you are interested in participating in this project, I've linked a
recruitment survey below that should take no more than 10 minutes of your
time. The survey will remain open until January 10, 2022 and I will reach
out with next steps by January 14th.

<https://uarizona.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dmrGil5so7aWWCa>Recruitment
survey: https://uarizona.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dmrGil5so7aWWCa

This project has been approved by University of Arizona's Institutional
Review Board (IRB protocol: STUDY00000038).

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. Please contact me
directly (juliechristen at arizona.edu) if you have any questions or concerns.

Julie

--
*Julie Christen* (she/her)
PhD Candidate | Rhetoric, Composition, and the Teaching of English