[ATTW-L] PhD in Tech Comm & Rhetoric at Utah State University

Calvin Pollak calvin.pollak at usu.edu
Fri Nov 12 17:50:55 UTC 2021

We wanted to announce that our PhD program is already accepting applications for next year (from now until January 15). Please help us spread the word! See below for official announcement and details:

Utah State University's PhD program in Technical Communication and Rhetoric (TCR) is currently accepting applications (deadline: January 15). Our program defines the field of technical communication and rhetoric broadly, allowing students to engage diverse topics ranging from social justice to critical theories of technology, from rhetorics of community to online pedagogy, and from crisis communication to computer gaming. We particularly welcome applications from students interested in studying issues of social justice, community engagement, diversity, and service learning.

Utah State University is a Carnegie Research University (High Research Activity) of over 25,000 students, located in Logan, Utah. USU is 80 miles northeast of Salt Lake City, surrounded by national parks, ski resorts, lakes, and mountains. Our TCR program has an excellent student-to-faculty ratio, a close PhD student cohort, and a stellar placement record.

Applicants are encouraged to apply for a Graduate Instructorship, which pays an annual salary of $20,000.00 in addition to a tuition waiver and benefits, in exchange for teaching a 2/2 load (two courses each semester) and performing other responsibilities. USU provides excellent teacher training to PhD students, and our PhD students usually get the opportunity to teach a variety of courses during their program, which builds their Curriculum Vitae and positions them well for jobs in academia.

Recent graduates have secured tenure track positions at Virgina Tech, Texas State University, Boise State University, and Montana State University.

For more information about the program, the faculty, the curriculum, and other topics, please see our website: http://techcomm.usu.edu

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:

  *   Jared Colton, Technical Communication & Rhetoric, Director of Graduate Studies (jared.colton at usu.edu)
  *   Avery Edenfield, Technical Communication & Rhetoric, PhD program chair (avery.edenfield at usu.edu)

Best,

Calvin Pollak, Ph.D. (he/him)
Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow in Technical Communication & Rhetoric
Department of English
Utah State University