[ATTW-L] social justice in technical editing texts?

Stephen Bernhardt sab at udel.edu
Tue Feb 1 17:04:27 UTC 2022

The important aspect of Carolyn’s textbook is it’s comprehensive coverage
of a professional editor’s roles and skills. A lot of those skills are very
particular. Editing demands close understanding of syntax, style, and
punctuation. Some editorial tasks require complex markup and command of
style sheets, templates, and levels of edit. You won’t get that kind of
systematic detail in a collection of readings.

For what it's worth, my Writing at Work: Professional Writing Skills for
People on the Job is miraculously still in print and generating sales, with
some loyal adopters. We give close coverage to analyzing the writing
situation, understanding syntax, style, and punctuation, and it is packaged
with a set of exercises. This book does not cover the roles and specific
skills of the professional editor, but it does work very well with students
who need foundational understanding of how sentences work.

Steve Bernhardt
Bayside DE