[ATTW-L] Call for Proposals for CDQ Book Reviews

Sparby, Erika emsparb at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 7 16:13:59 UTC 2022

Hello friends and colleagues!

I am the book review editor for Communication Design Quarterly<http://sigdoc.acm.org/blog/category/cdq-article/> (CDQ), and I’m looking for people interested in doing book reviews for upcoming issues. If you or your students are interested, please email me at emsparb at ilstu.edu<http://emsparb@ilstu.edu>.

We are actively seeking to elevate the voices of multiply marginalized and underrepresented (MMU) scholars by both reviewing their books and publishing reviews by them. We are also actively seeking to elevate design of communication and technical communication works that deal with intersectional issues related to power, race, gender, language and linguistic justice, sexuality, environmental justice, social justice, disability and access, and so on, so we will prioritize reviews on books that centralize these or related issues. As such, I will continue Avery Edenfield’s inclusive process for selecting books and reviewers by requesting very brief proposals for book reviews.

When soliciting the book for your review, please include the following information:

  *   What book you want to review
  *   Why you want to review it (100 words or less)
  *   When you can submit your review to be published. I’ll be looking for 2-4 reviews per issue, and the deadlines for each will be set early in the month noted below:
     *   October 2022 (for publication in December)
     *   January 2023 (for publication in March)
     *   May 2023 (for publication in July)
     *   July 2023 (for publication in September)

Here are some of the books I currently have available for review (many are available as PDFs or epubs, but I would be able to arrange for hard copies of most as well). You are also welcome to propose a book not on this list that fits within CDQ’s scope, or to propose to review a cluster of related books. We are also interested in doing interesting intersectional reviews as well as nontraditional reviews. If you have any questions or creative ideas, please reach out!

  *   Everyday Dirty Work: Invisibility, Communication, and Immigrant Labor<https://ohiostatepress.org/books/titles/9780814214671.html>, by Wilfredo Alvarez
  *   Writing Accomplices with Student Immigrant Rights Organizers<https://store.ncte.org/book/writing-accomplices-student-immigrant-rights-organizers#_=_>, by Glenn Hutchinson
  *   Civic Engagement in Global Contexts: International Education, Community Partnerships, and Higher Education<https://upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/4037-civic-engagement-in-global-contexts>, by Jim Bowman and Jennifer deWinter
  *   Indigenous Language Interpreters and Translators / Intérpretes y Traductores de Lenguas Indígenas: Toward the Full Enactment of all Language Rights / Hacia un Ejercicio Pleno de los Derechos Lingüísticos<https://intermezzo.enculturation.net/16-gonzales-et-al.htm>, by Abigail Castellanos García, Laura Gonzales , Cristina V. Kleinert, Tomás López Sarabia, Edith Matías Juan, Mónica Morales-Good, Nora K. Rivera
  *   Racing Translingualism in Composition: Toward Race-Conscious Translingualism<https://www.upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/6169-racing-translingualism-in-composition>, edited by Tom Do and Karen Rowan
  *   Salt of the Earth: Rhetoric, Preservation, and White Supremacy<https://store.ncte.org/book/salt-earth-rhetoric-preservation-and-white-supremacy#_=_>, by James Chase Sanchez
  *   Violent Exceptions: Children's Human Rights and Humanitarian Rhetorics<https://ohiostatepress.org/books/titles/9780814214688.html>, by Wendy S. Hesford
  *   Climate Politics on the Border: Environmental Justice Rhetorics<http://www.uapress.ua.edu/product/Climate-Politics-on-the-Border,7688.aspx>, by Kenneth Walker
  *   Embodied Environmental Risk in Technical Communication: Problems and Solutions Toward Social Sustainability<https://www.routledge.com/Embodied-Environmental-Risk-in-Technical-Communication-Problems-and-Solutions/Stinson-Rouge/p/book/9781032155494>, edited by Samuel Stinson and Mary Le Rouge
  *   Bodies of Knowledge: Embodied Rhetorics in Theory and Practice<https://upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/4152-bodies-of-knowledge>, edited by A. Abby Knoblauch and Marie E. Moeller
  *   Metabolizing Capital: Writing, Information, and Biophysical Environment<https://upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/3789-metabolizing-capital>, by Christian J. Pulyer
  *   Interrogating Gendered Pathologies<https://upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/3819-interrogating-gendered-pathologies>, edited by Erin A. Frost and Michelle F. Eble
  *   Making Matters: Craft, Ethics, and New Materialist Rhetorics<https://upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/6075-making-matters>, by Leigh Gruwell
  *   Rhetoric and Guns<https://upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/4162-rhetoric-and-guns>, edited by Lydia Wilkes, Nate Kreuter and Ryan Skinnell
  *   Tuning in to Soundwriting<http://intermezzo.enculturation.net/14-stedman-et-al.htm>, edited by Kyle D. Stedman, Courtney S. Danforth, and Michael J. Faris
  *   Video Scholarship and Screen Composing<https://www.fulcrum.org/concern/monographs/mp48sf86r>, by Daniel Anderson
  *   Hyphens and Hashtags: The Stories Behind the Symbols on Our Keyboard<https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/distributed/H/bo109458980.html>, by Claire Cock Starkey
  *   Update Culture and the Afterlife of Digital Writing<https://upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/3765-update-culture-and-the-afterlife-of-digital-writing> by John R. Gallagher
  *   Writing in the Clouds: Inventing and Composing in Internetworked Writing Spaces<https://parlorpress.com/collections/new-releases-parlor-press/products/writing-in-the-clouds>, by John Logie
  *   Architects of Memory: Information and Rhetoric in a Networked Archival Age<http://www.uapress.ua.edu/product/Architects-of-Memory,7412.aspx>, by Nathan R. Johnson
  *   Global Social Media Design<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/global-social-media-design-9780190845582?cc=us&lang=en&>, by Huatong Sun
  *   Institutional Literacies: Engaging Academic IT Contexts for Writing and Communication<https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/I/bo50700010.html>, by Stuart A. Selber
  *   User Experience as Innovative Academic Practice<https://wac.colostate.edu/books/tpc/innovative/>, by Kate Crane and Kelli Cargile Cook
  *   UX on the Go: A Flexible Guide to User Experience Design<https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/mono/10.4324/9780429277238/ux-go-andrew-mara>, by Andrew Mara
  *   Privacy Matters: Conversations about Surveillance within and beyond the Classroom<https://upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/3942-privacy-matters>, by Estee Beck and Les Hutchinson Campos
  *   Our Body of Work: Embodied Administration and Teaching<https://upcolorado.com/utah-state-university-press/item/6123-our-body-of-work>, edited by Melissa Nicolas and Anna Sicari
  *   Radiant Figures: Visual Rhetorics in Everyday Administrative Contexts<https://ccdigitalpress.org/radiant-figures>, edited by Rachel Gramer, Logan Bearden, and Derek Mueller
  *   Assembling Critical Components: A Framework for Sustaining Technical and Professional Communication<https://wac.colostate.edu/books/tpc/assembling/>, by Joanna Schreiber and Lisa Melonçon
  *   The Profession and Practice of Technical Communication<https://www.routledge.com/The-Profession-and-Practice-of-Technical-Communication/Cleary/p/book/9780367557379>, by Yvonne Cleary
  *   A Research Primer for Technical Communication: Methods, Exemplars, and Analyses<https://www.routledge.com/A-Research-Primer-for-Technical-Communication-Methods-Exemplars-and-Analyses/Hayhoe-Brewer/p/book/9780367531485> (2nd ed), by George F. Hayoe and Pam Estes Brewer

I will review responses and select reviewers as soon as possible. I have also attached CDQ's review guidelines to this email. I look forward to reading your 100-word proposals!

Cheers,

Erika

--
Erika M. Sparby, PhD | they/them
Assistant Professor of Digital Rhetoric and Technical Communication

Book Review Editor
Communication Design Quarterly