[ATTW-L] CFP: Special Issue of TCQ on (Re)Defining “Professional”

Cynthia Johnson cjohnson149 at uco.edu
Thu Mar 16 11:46:10 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to share this call for proposals for a special issue of Technical Communication Quarterly titled “(Re)Defining 'Professional' in Technical & Professional Communication.”

As the field of technical and professional communication continues to critically examine its scholarly, pedagogical, and professional practices, we call for a reflection on one of the most commonplace terms in the discipline: professional. The idea of “professionalism”—whether a set of behaviors, language, knowledge, or dress code—continues to be constructed in white supremacist, ableist, heteronormative, and classist frameworks. As such, we hope to assemble work that deconstructs our notions of “professional” and “professional writing.”

The full call can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rrtqSmJBa9yUUr3qB0aYHbVTbEruF-YovjLPLnH9fyA/edit?usp=sharing

Please email 500-word proposals to Bridget Gelms (bgelms at sfsu.edu) and Cynthia Johnson (cjohnson149 at uco.edu) by April 15th, 2023. We also welcome you to reach out with any questions you may have as you prepare your proposal.

Thank you!

Cynthia C. Johnson, Ph.D. (she, her)

Assistant Professor

Department of English

University of Central Oklahoma

Occupying traditional Caddo and Wichita land.