[ATTW-L] Advice on grant writing textbooks

Johnson, Richard D rjohnso at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 20 14:36:43 UTC 2024

Thank you for the call out, Huiling,

Because of this conversation on the ATTW listserv, many people have been asking about the availability of Writing Proposals. So, I'll speak up at the risk of sounding self-promotional.

Writing Proposals, 3e, should be available for the Fall semester from a new publisher. Also, I have been making Writing Proposals 2e available for free to faculty and students, if people want to use it in their classes. I can share a PDF version through Google Drive with anyone who asks. (Please respond directly to me, so we aren't junking up the ATTW listserv.)

Here's what happened. The original publisher was selling 2e for a prohibitively high price, so I told them I would not develop Writing Proposals, 3e, if they planned to charge so much for the book. The 2e was still selling quite well, but I couldn't stomach the idea that students were paying so much for a paperback book that was getting out of date.

When they wouldn't agree to a much lower price, I asked for the copyright back.

The final draft of Writing Today, 3e, is now finished. Paul Hunter has joined me as a co-author. In this new edition, we incorporated artificial intelligence as a tool for writing and designing proposals and grants, along with many other new issues and strategies.

I've been writing, editing, and consulting on proposals and grants for many years, but I'm really excited about what's happening right now in this area. The new edition tries to capture these emerging developments, even though we're all just taking educated guesses about the full capabilities of generative AI.

I'm also willing to share any of my classroom materials (syllabi, assignments, worksheets, etc.) if people want them.

Proposals and Grants has always been one of my favorite courses to teach. If you aren't offering this course at your university, I highly recommend proposing it. This course is always in high demand on college campuses.

Professor Richard Johnson-Sheehan

Department of English

Purdue University

500 Oval Dr.