[ATTW-L] CFP for Special Issue of CDQ

Digital Life cdqdigitallife at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 21:39:23 UTC 2023

Dear colleagues,

We write to invite proposals for a special issue of CDQ titled *Toward
Digital Life: Embracing, Complicating, and Reconceptualizing Digital
Literacy in Communication Design*. Please find attached the full CFP below.

This special issue seeks to open a space for conversation about
literacy/literacies in technical and professional communication (TPC), user
experience (UX), and communication design (CD) pedagogies, praxes, and
methodologies. We feel on the cusp of a turn, when the size, scope, and
complexity of issues around the digital make it necessary to revisit,
embrace, complicate, and/or reconceptualize digital literacy. Therefore, we
feel the moment is right to bring together new and diverse scholarship
around considering a shift toward *digital life* as an organizing framework
for thinking about how to foster the entangled ways of knowing (i.e.,
literacies, skills, and/or competencies) necessary for engagement as a
technical communicator and human in 21st century society.

We envision that a critical approach and focus on social justice as it
relates to digital life, interdisciplinarity and engagement with literacy
as multifaceted, slippery, and embedded in our everyday lives will be
particular strengths of this issue.

*We invite proposals of no more than 500 words* that tackle embracing,
complicating, extending, pushing back on and reconceptualizing digital
literacy and digital life while connecting to broader TPC/UX/CD and
interdisciplinary scholarship with the aim of theorizing the turn that we
see on the horizon. We are especially interested in articles that address
intersections of digital life and social in/justice. We call for diverse
scholars, perspectives, and projects engaging digital life in order to open
up a larger conversation, and perhaps plant the seeds for growth of future
coalitions.

Proposals should be sent as an email attachment in .docx format to
co-editors Mollie Stambler, Saveena (Chakrika) Veeramoothoo, and Katlynne
Davis at CDQDigitalLife at gmail.com. All proposals should include submitter
name(s), affiliation(s), and email address(es) as well as a working title
for the proposed article.

*Production Schedule*

The schedule for the special issue is as follows:

May 15, 2023 – 500-word proposals due

June 15, 2023 – Guest editors return proposal decisions to submitters

November 1, 2023 – Draft manuscripts of articles (for accepted proposals)
due

December 1, 2023 — Peer reviews of articles due

December 15, 2023 — Guest editors return article decisions to authors

March 1, 2024 – Final manuscripts due

June, 2024 – Publication date of special issue

Thank you,

Mollie Stambler, Saveena (Chakrika) Veeramoothoo, and Katlynne Davis